Sunday, November 25, 2007

Ink fit for a Goddess



I love tattoos. I find them, when well executed, to be a most interesting means of expressing
one's personal desires, interests etc. I feel the urge to add new ink to my collection, one idea I have is a josephine baker tattoo: What is not to love about her? This deco diva was a friend of animals, captivated a nation just by being a gorgeous Black goddess, had excellent fashion sense, and was not afraid of her sexuality. Josephine Baker is one of my Sheroes,(the other being Zora Neale Hurston) and also one of my fashion icons. Topless and dressed in a banana skirt she reminds me of a real life incarnation of Oshun (Oshun is the tall brown skinned Yoruban Orisha that presides over dance,love,beauty and art, she enjoys finery such as gold,mirrors,jewelry,feathered fans and honey. Peacocks are sacred to her ) the above image is Black Thunder, a lithograph of Josephine Baker done by Paul Colin. From the moment I saw this picture I fell in love with it. It conveys a sense of rhythm,freedom and unabashed sexuality. I will put her on my leg because I too love to dance.

No comments: